Published on September 7th, 2016 | by Nick Payne0
Payne’s Chain Reaction IX
Welcome to the ninth instalment of Payne’s Chain Reaction! For those who don’t know this is a quiz with a difference; each answer links to the next forming a chain which can provide clues to any questions you get stuck on or as additional questions – “What links those answers?”. The links range from as obvious as a shared word to more obscure facts and play-on-words. Finally, in the spirit of scientific research, collaboration is encouraged!
Note: links get revealed between the answer and the previous answer
From the end of the last chain:
20. What structures make up the Earth’s lithosphere?
1. What seismic events have an epicentre?
2. In 2012, who duetted with Emeli Sandé on “Beneath Your Beautiful”?
3. In Greek mythology, who killed the Minotaur?
4. Which German siblings murdered an elderly woman in her own oven?
5. What was the first feature film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios?
6. Other than golf, what other sport was added to the Olympic roster for the 2016 Games?
7. What theatrical objects are usually invisible for mime artists?
8. Who is known as the Queen of Soul and what Otis Redding cover became her signature song?
9. Who invented the lightning rod?
10. In 2016, which Lin-Manuel Miranda musical was nominated for a record-setting 16 Tony Awards?
11. What is the oldest continuously published daily newspaper in the United States?
12. Which American film studio’s distinctive searchlight logo is usually accompanied by a triumphant fanfare?
13. Which football team were the champions of League One in 2009, the Championship in 2014, and the Premier League in 2016?
14. Which political pressure group advocates proportional representation in the United Kingdom?
15. By what name is writer and mathematician Charles Dodgson better known?
16. Which book’s first chapter is entitled “Down the Rabbit Hole”?
17. Which 1999 sci-fi film championed the use of wire-fu and “bullet-time” slow-mo?
18. In March 2016, what beat Lee Sedol by 4 games to 1?
19. Shares in Nintendo rose more than 50% in three days of trading following the launch of which app?
20. What Greek letter denotes the prefix “micro-”?